Nancy’s Farewell Talk given 12-27-09 “Handing over my Pearls”
“ I’ll go where you want me to go, Dear Lord, over mountain or plain or sea, I’ll say what you want me to say, dear Lord; I’ll be what you want me to be.”
Brs & Sisters
My husband and I are going on a mission! I’m sure that there is no one more amazed than we are at this news. I never thought I would be doing this, I always felt our path would be to serve locally with our Chelsey here in our care. I want to tell you how this came about and how the Lord works in our lives.
A yr and 2 months ago, my husband was laid off from his job, which is a simple statement that we have gotten used to saying, but the impact of this has changed the course of our lives. Previously, we had followed the prophet’s council, and with the encouragement of dear family and friends, we had our basic yr supply, had paid off our home, and Coy Lindblom, our good neighbor, had planted a garden. So we hunkered down in our beautiful home, feeling prepared to weather the storm. Because of the Lord’s watchful care, we have not suffered in any way. Also, just before, the Lord had given me the desire to obtain my certification to work with special needs people, which gave us the blessed opportunity to work with and become friends with the Atkinson family. Whom we have grown to love dearly. Added to that has been the generosity and loving support of family, you, our dear ward brother and sister, and other good friends. I can truly testify that we have not suffered in any way, except maybe our pride. But as painful as that is, we know it can be for our good.
Despite our protected existence, it was tempting to feel discouraged, because, even with Richard’s diligent efforts and dogged perseverance, the job opportunities were bleak. What was most perplexing, was, the few job opportunities, we felt would surely come to pass, not only did the doors shut, They slammed in our faces. Our favorite scripture became, 2 Cor: 4 8-18. Quoting excerpts--
8. We are atroubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in bdespair;
9 aPersecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not bdestroyed;
10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
17 For our light aaffliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and beternal cweight of glory;
18 While we look not at the things which are aseen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not bseen are ceternal.
___ and a talk by Elder Pearson on guarding against the 6 destructive D’s. Every Ensign contained articles we felt were written just for us. We followed them religiously. Rich and I are a good team, but as the months passed, these circumstances led us to raise some urgent Q’s. What did the Lord want us to do? What plan did he have for us? WE would plead urgently, “Just let us know Lord, we will be happy to do it if you’ll just let us know!”
I will always remember clearly, two very powerful experiences shortly thereafter, (well it seemed like a long wait, but now--not so long) the Bishop held a 5th Sunday Council mtg all about couples serving a mission. I was sitting right where ____is sitting now. The feeling that he was talking directly to me was so overwhelming that I remember looking around the room to see if everyone else was still there. I immediately came up with a few very good reasons why this could not be and before the course of the class was over. Sister Loar and several others bore testimonies, that directly addressed and discounted my best excuses. So the next step was to tell Richard about this experience. I did so with great trepidation. But I did because I have learned to follow those promptings.
Soon thereafter, Sister Calder gave a powerful lesson on missionary work. In her amazing way, She told the story of a little girl who obtained a pearl necklace that was her favorite possession, it was plastic, but to her, it was no less beautiful, and she wore it every day. Each night her dad would tuck her into bed and listen to her prayers. One night, he asked if she would give him her plastic pearl necklace. She was indignant, as she replied, “Dad, how could you ask for my pearl necklace? You know how much I love it!” The next night, the same scene, and many thereafter, The Dad asking and the daughter refusing, “Oh Dad, it’s my favorite necklace, No!” But one day she decided that if her dad wanted it that bad, she would give it to him when he next asked. So that night, Dad came in and heard her prayers, then asked his question, “Dear, could I have your plastic pearl necklace?”, and she replied, “Dad, if you want it that bad you can have it.” She took it off and put it in her dad’s hand and he then pulled out of his pocket a shimmering strand of pearls and placed them tenderly around her neck. The Sister Calder then asked us,” How many times do we hang on to the treasures we think are so valuable denying the Lord the ability to bless us with greater treasures of eternal value. She compared it to the blessings that come from serving a mission. I couldn’t get that story out of my mind, along with the powerful witness Marilyn bore of missionary work and the joys and blessings that come from such service. This too caused my mind to ponder on the course of our efforts.
So, without much more said, Rich who has visited this Deseret ranch and has always wanted to serve there—someday-- called them and they said, Yes! come on a service mission, we need your expertise desperately! So feeling relieved that we had found the right path, and that it would be a blessing for us and Chelsey, we called the # they gave us for the Mission director, only to have the door slam shut--again! For two reasons, we had to be financially secure and special needs children were not allowed, no exception!, liability reasons. And by the way, Rich needed to be getting a job and providing for his family. Well, that was very humbling to say the least! And in my mind, that was the end of that, because, being a mother, I knew where my first duty was, But we were completely mystified and perplexed. Feeling that we’d been guided, but that even the Lord didn’t want us. And we worked hard at not being offended. But tried to realize that there must be some glitch we had not yet worked out.
Several months went by, and now we were into Nov & Thanksgiving with all the family over for a huge feast, feeling so blessed. AS we were preparing the meal, My sis, Sheri, looked at me and spoke very directly, which she was able to get away with , because I had woken up with a strange laryngitis and had completely lost my voice, (I now know literally, what it means to be struck dumb!) and she told me, Nancy, you and Rich should be on a mission, and the only reason you are not there, is because you are setting conditions for the Lord! You need to be willing to sacrifice all you have even if it means that you need to leave Chelsey behind in the care of others. As she spoke, I again had that overwhelming confirmation that what she was saying was true. It was great revelation to me, because I would never have seen it that way, if someone hadn’t spoken so clearly. I knew I needed to talk with Rich and it took me a day to get up the courage, because I knew where it would lead this time. And yes, when I did, Rich was immediately set on fire and went into action, he took the ball and within 3 day’s we had a mission call by phone and were just waiting for the official letter signed by the Presiding Bishopric. I will now turn the time over to him to finish the story of how the Lord works in mysterious ways his wonders to perform in our lives.
WE had been warned of how the Adversary works on you after you make the commitment to go no matter what. But I had no idea! Two days later I called my Sister-Sheri again, this time to say, “We are nuts! What were we thinking?” She told me to immediately print a copy of Elder Holland’s BYU Address, “Cast not Aside, therefore, Thy Confidence” and read it often, several time a day if needed. So I did and I’ve had it within close reach ever since, along with prayer and my scriptures. My motto though the whole process has been “Baby Steps” I can take one step at a time and if the road clears I take the next, if I get to a roadblock I turn another direction and step that way. Rich and I have been able to go forward and will continue to take steps until we travel across the country to Florida where I will serve however the Lord wants me to.
We are so grateful for our family and friends and their love and immense support enabling us to do this. The sacrifices are great and we recognize that and feel it ourselves personally. But I am handing over my plastic pearls because This mission isn’t just about Richard and I. The potential for growth and great blessings are so multifaceted in extending throughout our family, ward family, and friends that at times when I catch a glimpse, I am overwhelmed. I know it won’t be easy and It’s already very hard, but I know it will be so worth it!
I bear testimony of a loving Heavenly Father and of My Savior Jesus Christ. I am grateful for their constant watchfulness and direction through the Holy Ghost even when we cannot see it for our shortsightedness, and of the power of the Lord’s gospel principles which when followed, fill our lives with peace and joy even in adversity and trials.
“…So trusting my all to thy tender care. And knowing thou lovest me, I’ll do thy will with a heart sincere. I’ll be what you want me to be! In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen!
No comments:
Post a Comment